A Nest for our Wee One

Now that we have about 5 weeks to go until our wee one makes his/her appearance (eek!), I figured it was time to show you what we've been busy working on around the house. A room fit for our wee one!

If you recall from this post from the house tour just after we moved in, the soon-to-be nursery was a rather blank slate. 


We had the builder paint a soft gray on the walls, but in new construction we didn't have a chance to test swatches and the color came out a bit more blue than I pictured for the nursery. I gathered up some swatches of Olympic's no-VOC paint from Lowe's and chose a different shade. J painted the room, and I put up some decals after it dried. Soon after, furniture was delivered and things started falling into place. We wanted something that was gender neutral (obviously), but still bright and happy. I tend to have more modern taste and wanted furniture that would flow with the rest of the house. I daresay that all furniture (minus the crib of course) is usable in another room later on. I am not really into the typical "theme" room, so we did just did some colorful art and some cheery accents here and there. Here is how it turned out:

The view from the doorway
A closer shot of the glider, side table, curtains and pendant lamp
Baby's crib and the brightly colored pomanders


Baby's Aunt Erin told me to take down the pink pom if a nephew arrives. haha. 

Next, a close up of the crib with Dwell crib skirt and sheet and the breathable bumpers. You can hardly see the light gray dots and squares printed on the bed skirt and sheet, but they are there. One of these days I'll upgrade to a better camera- still relying on the old point and shoot. 


My mom and dad hosted a lovely shower for us in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago (post to come on that), and in lieu of cards they asked guests to bring a book. Baby's bookcase was filled in no time with some great stories that we can't wait to share!



We had framed some baby photos of J and I for our shower so I decorated with those for now. On the left you'll see baby's own color changing iPod dock which we can't wait to use, and I LOVE the Stinkerpants Alphabet print hanging above the shelf. I couldn't get a great shot of it, but J's favorite letter is the S for "Super Seahorse" and mine is H for "High up Hippo" (a little hippo in a tree). So cute!

On the wall to the right as you walk in, we set up the dresser which we're using as a changing table too. We added the Wish Tree print (love me some Stinkerpants), and some little shelves for books and misc. decor, toys, etc. 



And last, the little art collection on the back wall of the room. I ordered two prints online, and had some fun with Microsoft Word and some free fonts for the others. 


From top to bottom and left to right:
-Little Feet, Little Hands, Little Baby (baby will know that mommy LOVES her some Dave Matthews Band soon enough!)
-You are My Sunshine
- L O V E
- Every little thing is gonna be alright (a shout out to some reggae from Jamaica where we honeymooned)
- Just some cute little birds 
- Somewhere over the rainbow/What a Wonderful World medley lyrics 

Gotta love some free art!

We had a maternity photo shoot a few weeks ago with the ever talented Genevieve Nisly who will come back to take some photos of baby after his/her arrival. We plan to add to the photo collection then and hopefully post some better pics of the nursery with baby in it!

So, what do you think? Will baby love it? Mommy and Daddy certainly do. 

2 comments:

  1. My first time on your blog. I LOVE LOVE LOVE how you decorated the nursery. Where did you get the pomanders?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your compliments! PomLove on Etsy is where I got 3 of the pomanders, and I made the two smallest ones on my own.

    ReplyDelete