It's Amore!

Love is in the air- it's Valentine's Day weekend! Valentine's Day was always so much fun as a kid. I loved decorating a shoe box with sequins, felt, doilies, glitter and whatever else we had laying around the house for our party at school, and going to grandma's to get a big heart shaped box of chocolates from my Grampy. It's still fun thinking back to those days!

Last year was our first Valentine's Day as a married couple, and we wanted to make it fun! With our first "married couple" Valentine's Day falling on a Saturday, I got to cross something off my bucket list when the mister came home from work and surprised me with a spur of the moment trip to New York City for the weekend.

Here is a little hint:



Sleepless in Seattle! For almost 17 years (already?!), I've wanted to go to the top of the Empire State Building on Valentine's Day. While I'll admit that I originally got the idea from "Sleepless in Seattle," it was this movie that made me really want to do it.



If you've never seen "An Affair to Remember" go rent it/Netflix queue it now! It's such a classic.

Anyway, early afternoon we got on the elevator and rode our way all the way to the top. I was so, so happy! Here's our pic. from the screen when we were waiting in line to ride up:

We spent about a half hour with hundreds of other tourists checking out Manhattan in the freezing cold, but it was amazing! Now I can say that I've done it on Valentine's Day. We spent the rest of the day walking around the city just taking it all in. We stopped by J's alma mater and the little pub in the Village where we met on our first real date.


We tried to go to Serendipity just to add to the romantic movie goodness, but there was a loooong wait, so we went shopping at Bloomingdale's instead. Fair trade, if you ask me. It was such a perfect weekend!


This year will be a little more low key, but fun. I'll, of course, be watching "Sleepless in Seattle," "An Affair to Remember," and maybe sneak in a Sunday matinee of the new flick "Valentine's Day" too. Other than that the weekend will include some of this, a little of this, and a whole lotta this because we love it! Looking forward to it all! Hope you all have something fun to do this weekend. Any special plans or traditions you'd like to share? Give me a shout out below!


Happy Valentine's Day!

1 comment: